It took me a long time to get here – married, primary parenting, homemaking and blogging about it all.
You might wonder why I call this blog home made dad and think of myself that way. Here are some reasons:
1. I am a home body. I enjoy my home and I want to make it a place where family and friends are welcome and comfortable.
2. I like home made things, particularly cooking and baking. In general, I value “homemade-ness” insofar as it produces high quality outcomes that are infused with and informed by love and caring.
3. I believe good dads – good parents in general – are made by good homes. That is, they are a product of their home environment. Our homes have made us who we are and we should be striving to create a home that makes good parents out of our children.
4. I am a dad who is also a homemaker – a term that is wrought with mid-twentieth century traditionalism and cliché. But I am not only a homemaker and I am not a homemaker the way my mother was – though there is, to be sure, some resemblance.
5. Finally, I arrived at “home made” after toying with lots of other monikers: “new dad”, “different dad”, “domestic dad”, “stay-at-home dad”, “work-at-home dad”, “homemaker dad” – well, you get the picture. There is no recognized term for dads who are primary parents. So I made up my own flavour.
Being a home made dad is pretty great. Hopefully, this site helps you or someone in your life see their own path to becoming a home made dad.